A quick guide for those who are filing an ITR for the first time
Income tax assessment year 2015 -2016 has already started. Most of us are looking forward to file our return. Well, the first thing that comes to our mind is why should we file a tax return?As per Income Tax Act,you should pay tax for income above Rs 250000 March end 2015(prior to deductions under 80C and 80U).For senior Citizens (60 yrs. to 80 yrs.) limit is Rs 300000 and Rs 5000000 for super seniors( above 80yrs).
Efiling income tax is the best way to file your return. With Income tax Efiling, filing tax return has now become a hassle free process. Gone are the days when people use to wait in queues to file their return and submit ITR offline. You can now do it at ease sitting at your home or office location.
How to file ITR online:
- First, log on to ITR website (incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in)
- Register on the portal using your PAN(Permanent Account Number)
- Your PAN is your user ID
- Go to ‘Download’ tab and then select ‘Efiling’ to download the ITR form for relevant assessment year
- Now go to ‘Quick e-file ITR’ option
- Open the download return software(excel utility) and fill all the details using Form 16
- Compute tax payable using ‘Calculate tax’ and pay tax (if applicable)
- Now enter the ‘challan details’.
- You can confirm the entered details using ‘Validate tab’.
- Once validated, generate XML file which is automatically saved to your desktop.
- Next, you need to go to ‘submit return’ and upload your XML file.
- You will be promoted to digitally sign the file .You can skip if you don’t have one.
- A successful Efiling confirmation will flash on your screen
- The acknowledgment forms, ITR Verification (ITR-V) is generated and sends to your registered email id.
How to verify ITR Verification (ITR-V)
This can be done in following ways-
- Send ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore
Steps to e-verify the return
- Login to Efiling
- Go to‘e-File’>‘Upload Return’
Income tax Department facilitates e-verify via
- EVC(Electronic Verification Code):It is a 10-digit alphanumeric number which is unique to a PAN. Its validity is 3 days.EVC can be generated in three ways –
- EVC – Through Net banking
- EVC – Through Bank Account Number
- EVC – To Registered Email Id and Mobile Number
- One time password: You can also generate OTP by using ‘I would like to generate Aadhaar OTP to e-Verify my return’ option. You need to link your Aadhaar card for this option.
How to check ITR status
Income Tax Department facilities online tracking of income tax refund status. It can be done using your PAN and assessment year.Income tax refundstatus can be viewed 10 days after refund has been sent by AO (Assessing Officer).
So, get some time from your daily routine and E-file your return as soon as possible. Also, filing online return gets you the benefit of getting early return. Late filing can levy you penalty. Don’t wait till end date -31st July. Use professional tax experts to file your return in just 15 mins today!
View Comments (0)