Importance of Design Protection in Textile Industry
Innovation in the textile and fabric industry has revolutionized clothing, home, and technical textiles. Design registration is a type of intellectual property protection under which a newly created design applied to an article created under an industrial process can be protected from counterfeiting.
There can be no doubt about the tremendous value of intellectual capital in the textile and fabric industry. Yet many of the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in the industry pay little attention, to protect their intellectual assets. In the current business environment, the primary source of competitive advantage for all businesses is innovation and original creative expressions.
Business managers need to identify such valuable intangible assets in a timely manner, determine their business relevance, and the importance of design registration on textile products and conduct cost-benefit analyses to determine which of these should be protected and leveraged by using the tools of the intellectual property (IP) system.
In most countries, an industrial design must be registered in order to be protected under industrial design law. To register an industrial design an application must be filed at the national IP office of the country where protection is provided.
Why Design Registration is Important?
Following are the few important benefits that the applicants get if it registers the design:
- It adds commercial value to the product and increases its marketability.
- Exclusive right against infringement or copying by the unauthorized person.
- The registered design is an intangible asset to a company that has a market value.
- If the product is fashionable product looks are equally important than its functionality thus immunity can be ensured only by Design Registration on it.
- In case of infringement, we can claim monetary compensation for the loss of sale or damage of the goodwill in the market.
- By mere registration, the owner can make more products of it without worrying about the competition and loss of revenue since it is duly protected.
- One of the benefits of industrial design is that it can be sold or licensed in the market and the maker of it can earn royalty on every sale.
- Reputation built up in the market which will lead to you indefinitely as long as a sufficient reputation in the design is maintained.
- Design rights are protectable at relatively low cost and review is simple and fast which means it works well for those companies which have ever-evolving new products that need to be protected.
Need IPR Support?
Write to us at email@example.com